The holidays mean dressing up and eating and drinking which can be the perfect combination for stains. Here’s a quick how-to guide for removing stains:
- Red Wine – If it’s red wine, wet a paper towel and blot with cool water. You can also use white wine to neutralize the stain or try club soda. Spot treat remaining stain with a laundry detergent and launder according to care label.
- Candle Wax– Scrape off as much hardened wax as possible, then place paper towels both over and under the stain and use a warm iron to melt remaining wax. Or, place garment over a bowl of hot water and pour boiling water over the stain spot until stain is removed. Spot treat with laundry detergent and wash in the hottest water possible that is still safe for the fabric .
- Chocolate – Pre-treat with stain-remover and work detergent in with fingers and let it stand for 20 minutes. Launder in the hottest water possible that is still safe for the fabric .
- Fruit juices, cocktails – Wet a cloth with warm water and club soda and blot. Rinse in cool water.
- Red Sauce Stains (Salsa, Cocktail Sauce, Spaghetti) – Turn garment inside out and work from the “back of the stain” flushing it with cold water. Wet a sponge with white vinegar and sponge stain then rinse with cool water. Repeat as necessary to remove as much of the stain as possible.
- Grease stains (Salad dressings) – Shake on talcum powder or cornstarch to soak up as much oil as possible and pre treat stain with a detergent. Let soak, the launder.
Don’t be caught unprepared! A take along stain remover like Shout® Wipes, or the Tide To Go® stain removal pen works wonders. Stock up and take it along with you to your next holiday party.
For more Stain removal help, here are some great sites: